How to clean dog’s ears 101: a step-by-step video guide

When talking about at-home dog grooming, many pet parents don’t think about cleaning their dog’s ears. This is a very important aspect of dog grooming that cannot be overlooked. Learning how to clean dog ears could even save you money in vet bills due to decreased ear infections.

How To Clean Dog Ears 101Cleaning your dog’s ears at home give you a great opportunity for a regular inspection that can help detect potential infections or other ear issues early on. If you notice any issues during these routine inspections, make an appointment with your veterinarian right away.

It’s important to remember that prompt treatment of your dog’s ears can reduce the potential for hearing loss and will also relieve any discomfort that your dog is experiencing very quickly.

Video: How to Clean Your Dog's Ears

Regular check-ups to see if your pet’s ears are clean, making sure there are no inflammation and so forth are also advisable. Hopefully, you’ve been doing this already, since most of us do that when checking dogs for ticks or dealing with fleas.

You’ll soon learn how to clean dog ears only takes a few minutes. I can usually clean one of our dog’s ears in less than 10 minutes. Even if you have multiple dogs, this will only take a small amount of time each month, and will aid in your pooch’s overall health and well-being.

Video: Dog Ear Cleaning And Dog Mangoworms And Tick Removal

How To Clean Dog’s Ears 101: A Step by Step Guide

How To Clean Dog Ears

Video: Grooming Guide - Cockapoo- Pro Groomer

1. Preparation

The first step in learning how to clean dog ears is to prepare the area. You’ll need to make sure the area is completely dry and that any matted or tangled hair around the ear is properly cared for. You don’t want to cause your dog any discomfort while cleaning his ears or he won’t be very receptive to it next time.

If there is excessive hair in your dog’s ear canal, it will need to be removed, but this should only be done by a professional. As I explain in my video, the ear canal is a very delicate area and even the smallest amount of irritation could cause extensive damage.

Once the grooming is finished, it’s time for an initial inspection. This is a very quick process, but also the most important step in learning how to clean dog ears. Simply feel the ear flap and the area around the ear with your bare hands. You should be looking for lumps, lesions, swelling, redness, discharge of any kind or anything else that doesn’t look right.

If you notice anything out of the ordinary, you need to call your veterinarian immediately. I explain the importance of this in my video, as many dog owners think that a thorough cleaning will benefit their pet in this situation. However, cleaning the dog’s ear when there is already an issue could make the problem worse.

RELATED VIDEO: How To Stop Dogs From Shedding 101

How To Clean Dog Ears

Reviews & Comments

Related posts